[olug] Elkhorn & points west - wireless internet

neal r neallist at wispair.net
Sun Mar 9 18:02:14 UTC 2003

  The first wireless player in Omaha was known as ORA2 or CityWeyed. This
business operated for a while, then was consumed by microlnk.com, which
continues to operate in the Omaha area.  They're colocated on the Masonic
Manor and Woodmen just like WispAir is, and they've got some other facilites
scattered around town, and I think their head end is somewhere in the John
Galt Blvd area.

  I've seen a bit of their stuff when we're doing surveys - access point mac
addresses indicate they use Cisco, I see horizontal grid dishes being used
for their backbone links which means they're using ISM band for distribution
*and* backhaul, and I'm pretty sure their entire network is a flat bridge -
from the number of antennas at Masonic Manor it is a major site for them, but
the only networking equipment to be seen is a single 3com 3300 layer 2 switch
(and its sitting in the open on a little wood shelf(!))

  The thing at 42nd and Center must be one of theirs, I haven't got anything
pointed in that direction (yet).