[olug] Firewall Newbie needs help

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Wed Mar 5 16:10:44 UTC 2003

I've finally got around to getting my wife's old PC out of the closet,
putting another NIC card into my Linux box, and then have two machines
using my Cox connection.  (The other machine now has BeOS R5 installed,
which is pretty cool, even though it isn't much more than a plaything).

I have both machines up and going, reconfigured the kernel (2.4.20)
as a router, and shut off ICMP, martians, etc. within /proc.

Now I'm working my my tables. From the various help on the net, this
should work, but doesn't:

gideon linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r1 # iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j
MASQUERADE
iptables: Invalid argument

What argument isn't valid?

-- mikeh