[olug] Digital Cameras and Linux

Jonathan Warren thechunk at cox.net
Tue Mar 4 15:29:48 UTC 2003

> I use smartmedia, any comments on this?  I like it cuz it's thinner. =)  I
> would also recommend a few 64mb cards (esp with 1280 res or higher), you
> wont have to worry about changing cards constantly, and when you're full -
> load new in a new stick of 'film'.
>
> I have a fujifilm 2300 but I wouldn't recommend it now, it's old and slow
> imho, compared to all the 'new' stuff.  But has always worked fine. =)
>
> I'm using a compact flash/smart media card reader. model number: CR-V6-UCS
> and it seems to work fine. Unfortunately, compgeeks is currently out of
> stock. =(

I just bought a power cord for my camera so I don't waste the batteries when transferring pictures.  Works great.  I have an Olympus and like it a lot.  I checked CNET and it had very favorable reviews.  Its large lens let me get pictures in almost any lighting without a flash( yes it has a flash too).  I have been very happy with it.  My only real complaint is the long delay from when the button is pushed to when the picture is taken and the long delay between pictures.  Overall though it is very easy to use and has worked well for us.  It uses Smart media as well.  While were talking about pictures anyone with a cannon fb scanner there is a sf project that adds user space support for it.  I was very happy to find it.