[olug] Linux, Networks and NFS/NIS

Mac Petras Mac at PetrasWeb.com
Mon Jun 30 20:09:18 UTC 2003

Matthew G. Marsh said:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Mac Petras wrote:
>
>> Thanks to one and all. This pretty much matched my
>> expectations.
>>
>> What I'm trying to do is get the Tech Svcs team (they work
>> for
>> me) to start learning and getting familiar with Linux,
>> since I
>> want to look at using it for internal websites, perhaps
>> file
>> servers and a few app servers. 2 of the team members are
>> eager,
>> but she is very skilled (Novell and Windows) but very
>> cautious
>> about things she does not have experience with - which I
>> understand....to a point.
>>
>> Se wants everyone (including myself) to work on standalone
>> machines (not connected to the network).  This might work
>> fine
>> for the others who are just learning the basics of linux,
>> but I'm looking to do development/testing to SQL Server
>> databases, run
>> web servers and CVS servers....which requires me to have it
>> connected to the network.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience trying to "win over" older
>> techies
>> that have a bit of FUD about linux?  Our VP, while he
>> doesn't
>> have a tech background, at least understands the need to
>> consider and use linux where possible - so at least that
>> isn't a problem.
>
> And if this were a Sun Solaris box or an IBM AIX or perhaps
> a Nortel VPN concentrator it would be different? How about
> Mac OS-X ? Do you have any JetDirect cards perchance? Hmmm -
> how about VMS - whoops - I mean NT 3.1 ... ;-}
>
> Point?

Oh PLEASE! I'm reasonably sure her head would explode! LOL

Actually, as "luck" <shudder> would have it, we ARE running
Windows NT 3.51 - and no...you don't really want to know why.
It's a huge problem, but an old legacy app that we are still
working on replacing.

To be fair, she is just VERY cautious - at times to a fault. Some
folks don't embrace change as easily or quickly as others.
That's why I posted a follow-up question asking if anyone had any
ideas/experience on "converting" or at least gaining acceptance
for Linux with the odd techie who isn't convinced (or operating
from FUD).....

BTW - Nice to hear from you again Matt. It's been a while.