[olug] Linux, Networks and NFS/NIS

Bob McCoy bob at mccoy.net
Fri Jun 27 23:09:27 UTC 2003

"Novell reported a net loss of $28.6 million on sales of $276 million
for the quarter that ended April 30."

"Novell stock, which hit a high of $43.60 a share in February 2001, has
dropped to little more than $3 as investors lose confidence."

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2003/06/06
/build/business/32-novell.inc

"Novell, which competes with International Business Machines Corp.,
Microsoft Corp.  and Sun Microsystems Inc., also said in its SEC filing
that as previously disclosed it would not provide specific revenue
forecasts for the remainder of fiscal year 2003 or future periods."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=2937526

>Don't buy into the FUD that Novell is a company in
>trouble and that they aren't going to [be] around much
>longer, Novell's revenue's and customer base is growing
>even if the installed base of Netware servers is static.
>Plus they are a much more Linux/cross-platform friendly
>company.

Novell's largest profit this quarter will come from selling $120M worth
of their office space in Silicon Valley.  I'm sorry, but tht sounds like
a company in trouble to me.

Bob