[olug] Linux, Networks and NFS/NIS

Mac Petras Mac at PetrasWeb.com
Fri Jun 27 15:25:33 UTC 2003

Phil Brutsche said:
> Mac Petras wrote:
>> Hey all -
>>
>> My Sys Admin is voicing concerns over placing Linux boxes
>> on the "production" network (not like we have a dev/test
>> network). Her
>> concern is that NFS/NIS may cause problems with
>> routers/switches and other network equipment.
>
> ROTFLMAO
>
> She's using a delay tactic to avoid having systems she's
> unfamiliar with  on the network.

Well...yeah, I know that. I was trying to be....."nice".  Really
prefer not to call my folks "scared little puppies" or tell them
to "get a clue" - LOL. In her case - it's a lot of unfamiliar
territory, and the fact that we're looking at migrating all the
Novell services out and replacing with either Win2k or Linux
services (it's a supportability thing at the least - she's our
only Novell person).  So that's where I think some of the FUD
comes from....and why I'm being patient/nice about it.....

Part of my job is educating them to new technologies (we're a
good 10 years behind at least) and also tring to cut costs -
which linux should do (we have a TON of old PCs that would work
fine for various uses).

>> I'm trying to understand this issue (or determine what is
>> just
>> FUD), so please forgive what I have wrong here. From my
>> perspective, since this is basically just a protocol, there
>> should be few (if any) issues with this. Also, if we don't
>> have
>> the daemon running or do any cross-system mounts, will NFS
>> even
>> show up on the network?
>
> Nope.

Thanks - that's what I thought. So now the question is if we even
need to run NFS.  Most of what I forsee us doing is running app
servers (web, cvs, etc) and maybe some Samba.  Anybody got good
"concrete" examples of where we would actually need to run NFS
anymore (mounts, etc)? What about NIS?  We're using Novell's
eDirectory, which I think negates the need for NIS anyway.