[olug] FW: Cox and port 25

Tim V - DZ iceburn at dangerzone.com
Fri Jun 27 14:44:30 UTC 2003

FYI

-----Original Message-----

Dear Customer,

With the increasing popularity of always-on High Speed Internet
connections,
the potential for unsolicited e-mail, or SPAM, has also increased.  This
is
not only considered a nuisance by our valued customers, but also
potentially
degrades customers e-mail service by consuming network and mail server
resources.  SPAM also increases the potential for computer related virus
attacks.  In an effort to protect our customers, as well as other
members of
the Internet community receiving e-mail from Cox customers, Cox is
currently
engaged in an initiative to reduce the amount of SPAM originating from
our
Cox High Speed Internet network.  Beginning Thursday, June 26 we will
filter
access to all 3rd party outgoing (SMTP) mail servers.

You may be connecting to a 3rd party mail server because of one of the
following reasons:

 - Your e-mail software, such as Outlook Express, is configured to use a
3rd
party outgoing mail server to send e-mail, with or without your
knowledge.

 - Your computer may be allowing other users from the Internet to
connect to
it.  These outside users may be using your machine to 'relay' their
e-mail.
We recommend that you review the security of your PC.

 - Your computer is infected with a virus that is attempting to spread
itself via e-mail. We recommend that you update your anti-virus software
and
scan your machine for viruses.

We believe that by putting this filter in place, we will stop 9 out of
10
spam e-mails coming from the Cox network.  This will not only improve
the
experience for all Internet users, it will help insure that other
Internet
Service providers do not take action to block legitimate e-mail from our
users.

Following the implementation of this filter, any e-mail software
configured
to use an SMTP server other than smtp.central.cox.net to send e-mail
from
your computer will no longer work.  Although you will still be able to
read
any e-mail sent to you, an error message such as the one shown below
will
appear when you attempt to send e-mail to
others:

  A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.
  Account: 'otheraccount.otherisp.com', Server:
'othersmtp.otherisp.com',
  Protocol: SMTP, Port 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Customers using 3rd party email services must re-configure their email
clients to use smtp.central.cox.net to send outbound e-mail.  You will
find
detailed instructions for configuring your mail client to use Cox
servers
for outbound SMTP e-mail traffic on our support site at the following
http://support.cox.net/custsup/email/settingup.shtml

If you have a personal vanity domain you may still be able to use it in
your
e-mail address, as long as you use Cox e-mail servers when sending
outgoing
messages.

If you would like more information on this initiative, please visit our
support site at:

http://support.cox.net/custsup/email/email_info.shtml.

Thank you for choosing Cox as your High Speed Internet provider.

Regards,
Cox High Speed Internet Team