[olug] Cox and port 25

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Fri Jun 27 14:12:30 UTC 2003

This whole rant against Cox has made me curious; is there no DSL
available in Omaha?

Here in Lincoln I have DSL service and it's wonderful.  Not quite the
zip of cable modems but I have a /29 subnet of public IP addys all to
myself!  I also have no restrictions at ALL on what servers or services
I run.  Heck, I even get DNS hosting thrown in for free on my ISP's DNS
server in case I want to run my own website/domain from my house.

Nick Walter

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 08:23, Nathan Rotschafer (OLUG) wrote:
> Now consider I run a valid business and work from home and need to send
> company email from my house what do I do?  If the email comes through Cox's
> servers some place will tag it as spam or refuse delivery based upon the fact
> that it is "forged".  Now what do I do?  In my opinion Cox just put a major
> blow to work from home business people and that is completely unacceptable.
> If there was another compelling solution in the Omaha Metro area I might just
> consider it after this...they are not big brother and cannot act as if they
> are...I understand the spam issue but they can track back where spam comes
> from without such a drastic business cutting measure.  Overall this measure
> gets 2 thumbs down to Cox and they will be forced to change it back I assure
> you before the month is over as many people will not stand for it...
>
> Nate
>
> On Friday 27 June 2003 08:41 am, Jay Hannah wrote:
> > "Nathan Rotschafer (OLUG)" wrote:
> > > I think we need to protest this...it seems instead of allowing legit
> > > access they want you to spoof your domain through their servers...how is
> > > this a good solution???
> >
> > 1) In the event that I decide to spam 1.2 million people from a
> > harvester program I downloaded, I have to do it through Cox's SMTP
> > server. Easier for abuse at cox.net to find me and shut me down w/o having
> > to reconfigure firewalls.
> >
> > 2) In the event that I'm running a Linux server in my home (which I'm
> > not supposed to do, but I do (sound familiar to anyone else on OLUG?
> > -grin-) and it gets hacked by some Taiwanese college student, and *they*
> > try to launch 1.2 million emails from it, they won't be able to. Cox
> > doesn't have to argue w/ their customers whose machines have been
> > exploited that yes, they *were* sending spam from their house, even
> > though the customer didn't have any idea what was going on. The kid from
> > Taiwan would have to go through Cox's SMTP server, which they probably
> > wouldn't bother doing, and if they did is (again) easier to shut down.
> >
> > That's my take on it anyway,

Nick Walter <waltern at iivip.com>
Interact Incorporated