[olug] Cox and port 25

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Fri Jun 27 04:35:53 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Brutsche" <phil at brutsche.us>
To: "Omaha Linux User Group" <olug at olug.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: [olug] Cox and port 25

> Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
> > Nice 8{
> > When did you get the email?  I sure didn't get one.  Man, what a s-o-b.
> > I've been ping/tracerouting, etc
> > for hours now.  They did the same thing to their business customers and
> > had one calling me all day today.
>
> Residential customers I can almost understand.
>
> But business customers?  Nothing but trouble there...
Yeah, I've got them running on he.net servers.  Pretty much problem free.
Occasionally a glitch.  I assumed that it was them today.  Normally problem
resolved <20minutes.  However it continued all day.  To make matters worse,
you can get through on port 25 sometimes so the problem looked steady with
some intermittent up time. Never a fun troubleshoot.  I checked the cox
board, nothing posted on the front page about it.  Thanks to Gregg it all
makes sense now.  I even emailed cox's tech support hours ago asking if they
were blocking 25 on the net border but still haven't heard back from them.

Oh well, live and get burned<g>
-Jeff