[olug] Wireless Card for my T40

Jon H. Larsen relayer at omahadirect.net
Thu Jun 26 22:03:35 UTC 2003

Don't get the D-Link DWL-650+ (note the plus!)- it has the Texas
Instruments chipset, and they won't cooperate with any driver writers....
(it's on special this week from Office Depot)

The orinoco drivers are included with the linux kernel, I would get a card
that works with them.
--begin code snippit--
/* orinoco.c 0.13d      - (formerly known as dldwd_cs.c and orinoco_cs.c)
 *
 * A driver for Hermes or Prism 2 chipset based PCMCIA wireless
 * adaptors, with Lucent/Agere, Intersil or Symbol firmware.
--end code snippit--

Or -

You can go another route and install other drivers:
http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/

Cards are listed on the above listed site that are known to work with the
linux-wlan-ng drivers.

Redhat RPMS for wlan-ng - read the instructions carefully:
http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/

Jon L.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Thom Harrison wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:57:28 -0500
> From: Thom Harrison <id4spam at cox.net>
> To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> Subject: [olug] Wireless Card for my T40
>
> I got my ThinkPad T40 in yesterday and installed RH9.0.
> Does anybody have any suggestions for a good wireless card?
> What are the advantages/disadvantages of a BlueTooth?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Thom

Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at omahadirect dot net
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org
ICQ#: 10412618 - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl
PGP Pubkey - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl/relayerpubkey.txt