[olug] Tips on flying with a laptop.

Bob McCoy bob at mccoy.net
Sun Jun 22 22:57:55 UTC 2003

I travel all the time with a laptop.  Last week it was with two laptops
jammed in my roll-around bag.  Just be prepared to take it out of the
bag.  Laptops are now all x-rayed separately.  As far as booting, I
haven't seen anyone actually asked to boot their machine in the last
year.  And you can not only take it on the plane, you can also use it on
the plane when the permission goes out that electronic devices may now
be used (somewhere around 10,000 feet).  The only other thing that may
happen is that a laptop will be "randomly" (the algorithm defies
definition) chosen to be sniffed.  They'll swab it with a cloth and test
the cloth for explosives residue.  That only takes a moment and you're
on your way.

Do NOT pack a laptop in your checked luggage.  Luggage handlers are
brutal.  Always carry it on if you ever hope to power it up again and
have it work.

Happy flying.  Bob.