[olug] U.K. Urged to hold back on open source

Sam Tetherow tetherow at nicusa.com
Fri Jun 20 23:11:32 UTC 2003

William E. Kempf wrote:
> Sam Tetherow said:
>
>>William E. Kempf wrote:
>>
>>>Again, before this thread spins too far out of control you should keep
>>>in mind that I'm not against open source or free software.  I just
>>>dislike the GPL, and understand that corporations are so wary of it
>>>that many won't let you touch it, even when there should be no risk.
>>>

>>And I am not a against proprietary software or other licenses, however
>>perpetuating the fear and uncertianty of the GPL does little to help the
>> endorsement of free software in general especially considering how much
>> open source software is published under the GPL.
>

> The restrictions of the GPL are not FUD.  They're legally binding, and
> have serious implications that many don't understand (and you've proven
> that in this discussion).

No I haven't, I have said nothing that contridicts the GPL, you have
however implied that anything that is a derivative of GPL software must
be released to the public.

>>As an author and contributor of several free programs I have generally
>>used the GPL because for the things I worked on, either they were
>>already published under the GPL before I took them up or I felt that,
>>for that specific instance, the GPL best suited the application.  I
>>however am not a GPL purist who thinks all software should be written
>>under the GPL, nor all open source software written under the GPL.  I
>>don't have problems with any of the public licenses, the author of the
>>software should have the final say in what that software is used for.
>

> He doesn't, if the software is a derivative work of other GPL software,
> and is distributed in any form.

Yes he does.  He had the say when he distributed it under the GPL and
choose the implications of that license.

Sam Tetherow                           tetherow at nicusa.com
Director of Development
NIC Labs (PSSG)                        http://www.nicusa.com