[olug] U.K. Urged to hold back on open source

Sam Tetherow tetherow at nicusa.com
Fri Jun 20 23:07:49 UTC 2003

William E. Kempf wrote:
> Sam Tetherow said:
>
>>William E. Kempf wrote:
>>
>>>You seem to be under a misaprehension about what the GPL says.
>>>

>>Nope, no misaprehension here, if I don't redistribute the code I don't
>>have to give it to anyone.  The GPL says so ;)  So does the FAQ
>>concerning the GPL if you go to
>>http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
>

> Oh boy... I hope that if you ever release a program that's used any
> GPLed components that you know a lawyer.  I quoted the GPL, and it
> explicitly states that distribution of the _PROGRAM_ (not the _SOURCE_)
> causes the derivative work to be bound by the GPL.  The FAQ you link to
> here doesn't disagree with this, though the wording in the FAQ could
> give you the false impression that it does.

Where did I say distribute the binary only?  I said code, which I
mentioned at the end of this message as refering to the source or the
binary/executable.  If I do not distribute it then I don't have to
release it, period.

>>>Again, this is not the case.
>>>

>>See above.
>

> Yep.  See above alright.
>

>>>But is also frequently the only solution that corporate lawyers are
>>>willing to do.  The risk is too high that something will slip through
>>>the cracks, and one slip can cause a "ripple effect", making other
>>>projects to be accountable under the GPL terms.
>>>

>>That is just pure laziness from all parties involved.  If I create a
>>windows application that uses another package I have the same issues
>>as well.
>

> But the risk is that at worst, you'll be sued for the cost of the
> license.
>  This is a much smaller risk than being sued for the source!  And it's
> not
> laziness that's the culprit here, it's just bad assumptions.  Yes, the
> fault is with the company, but it's a reasonable fault for employees to
> make.

Bad assumptions are laziness since the person in question did not do
their due diligence.

Sam Tetherow                           tetherow at nicusa.com
Director of Development
NIC Labs (PSSG)                        http://www.nicusa.com