[olug] Google on Linux

Joe Catanzaro joecatanzaro at cox.net
Fri Jun 20 20:11:58 UTC 2003

This isn't very related to Linux, but you've probably noticed that when you
search for something on Google there's a link for a cached copy of the
returned link? So my question is, when the Google spiders/robots crawl the
web, do they make a copy of the result to Google's server farm, and if so,
does that mean that Google probably has a backup copy of the entire web?
And how many terabytes is that?

Also, has anyone bought/read O'reilly's Google Hacks? Any good?

Several years ago (I think) Google had one of the largest Linux clusters at
around 8000 boxes. Do they still have the largest? If not, who does?

Thanks and sorry for the totally random questions,

Joe Catanzaro
joecatanzaro at cox.net