[olug] IDing Sun parts on E3000

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Jun 19 04:10:38 UTC 2003

Brian Roberson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 16:23, IrishMASMS at olug.org wrote:
>

>>First problem – storage
>>When the E3K box was given to my work, there were no hard drives given to
>>us, not even the plastic drive rails & mounting clip. Does anyone know
>>what the part number is for the plastic drive rails & mounting clip; or
>>have an alternate means of securely mounting drives into a Sun box like
>>this?

The part number varies and is quite irrelevant.

They're called spud brackets; Any spud bracket from any SCSI-based (and
maybe FC-based as well) Ultra workstation or server will work.  Do not
confuse them with the spud brackets for SS5/SS20 legacy systems!

This eBay auction will show you what you need to look for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3031149157&category=11224

Just remember that there are different spuds for 1" tall and 1.6" tall
drives.

> I have never seen them purchased seperately from a drive....

It's doable but it's quite a bit cheaper to get a drive to go along with
the spud ;)

>>Second problem – what the hell are these cards with the fiber connections
>>for?
>>Connected to the I/O board there are two cards connected in Sbus slots 1 &
>>2 (SSBus slot 0 is the video). Both cards have a fiber connection, with
>>what looks like a SC connector. I tried searching on everything that
>>looked like a part number with no success. How do I figure out if these
>>are Fiber Channel or Ethernet/network cards?

To help you identify the card, each one has a label with a bar code and
a number on it (not alpha-numeric, about 13 digits).  It is most likely
(but not always) on the SBus connector itself.  The complete number is
the serial number for the card, and the first 7 digits is the part number.

Example: I have here an SBus 10/100 ethernet+UW scsi combo card here;
the number on the barcode is 5012739121805.  That is the serial number;
the part number is 501-2739.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us