[olug] IDing Sun parts on E3000 - resend

IrishMASMS at olug.org IrishMASMS at olug.org
Wed Jun 18 17:15:47 UTC 2003

I am beating my melon into the desk here, because I can not figure out
two bits of information on the Enterprise 3000 we now have in my office.
I have searched sunsolve.sun.com and Google with not one hit at all, or
nothing making any sense. Downloaded the manual & read though it – and
even RTFM was not successful.

The specifics on the box:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/E3000/E3000.html

First problem – storage
When the E3K box was given to my work, there were no hard drives given
to us, not even the plastic drive rails & mounting clip. Does anyone
know what the part number is for the plastic drive rails & mounting
clip; or have an alternate means of securely mounting drives into a Sun
box like this?

Second problem – what the hell are these cards with the fiber
connections for?
Connected to the I/O board there are two cards connected in Sbus slots 1
& 2 (SSBus slot 0 is the video). Both cards have a fiber connection,
with what looks like a SC connector. I tried searching on everything
that looked like a part number with no success. How do I figure out if
these are Fiber Channel or Ethernet/network cards?

Aarrgghh!!!!! =(

The frustrated Irishman