[olug] Future presentation

Andrew Holm-Hansen olug at einer.org
Mon Jun 16 14:14:51 UTC 2003

Quick few off the top of my head for linux.

I want linux to:
1.  Not make me set each application per file type in Nautilus/Rox
whathaveyou.  It's a PITA and should just work.  I expect a dialogue box
if an app is requesting to be the exclusive executor of a certain
filetype.

2.  Cut and Paste should just work.  It's absolutely insane to me that I
can't paste into a vim window from mozilla with ctrl-c ctrl-v.  (Well,
actually, I can in GNOME, but not in fluxbox and only in KDE if I have
Klipper going).

3.  Web Browser plugins should be WAY easier to install.  I shouldn't
have to deal with plugins that don't work from one browser version to
the next.

4.  Copy a CD on the fly, with near zero interaction from me.  I have
this in Windows and MacOSX.  In Linux, I have to use a command line.  I
want to insert a blank, insert a disc and be presented with an option to
copy.

5.  Warn me if closing a window will affect other applications (ala
MacOSX).  For example, if I kill a shell that has a child process, the
child process also goes away.  Currently, I can't even find an optional
way of enabling this behavior.  (This isn't so much for me as my
roomate, who swears vehemently every time he clicks the wrong x).

6.  Allow my roomate to log on to his account and start an x session
without making me exit out of mine.  (obviously mine should be
'locked').

7.  Fix whatever the hell is wrong with audio playback.  Every time I
move a window, open an app, switch to another app, or move funny the mp3
playback under linux skips.  I have plenty of hardware and it rarely
skips under Windows.

There are more, but these came to mind first.  The list on Windows is so
long, I overwrote heap space typing it. :) (or is that stack space?)

Enough.  I'm sure some (or maybe all) of my complaints have been solved
or are triviably solvable, but that's not the point.  Please don't get
defensive.

Regards,

Andrew Holm-Hansen