[olug] Cygwin Setup

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Fri Jun 13 19:54:24 UTC 2003

Some time ago, I promised to send a document about configuring Cygwin on
Windows machines for interfacing with Linux or other POSIX machines.  I
did try to send an early draft at one point, but it was rejected because
of size.

Well, I've got a much more complete version up on my personal website,
which can be accessed at http://kempf-ville.com:3000/~wekempf/cygwin/. Any
comments, corrections or additions would be much appreciated.

Note that this document details some things that aren't documented with
the Cygwin distribution, though the Cygwin or XFree86 sites do.  For this
reason, there's some gems in there that you may not be aware of, such as
starting XWin with "-multiwindow" which basically uses the Windows OS as
the window manager under X (way cool!) and "-clipboard" which integrates
the X and Windows clipboards (a necessary addition!).

Hope someone appreciates this.

Thanks,

--
William E. Kempf