[olug] LVM, journaling fs, and high availability?

Sam Tetherow tetherow at nicusa.com
Fri Jun 13 14:21:41 UTC 2003

Eric Penne wrote:
> Reading /. made me think about LVM which I know nothing about.
>
> If I were to make a high availability server (ie mail, web, DNS, etc.) and
> was following the practice of one server process (apache) per server and I
> wanted maximum uptime, would it make sense to use journaling filesystems
> and LVM?  Is journaling and LVM made for this type of task?  I'm not
> worried about system load, I'll overkill on that to get good life from a
> PC.
>
> In my head I'm thinking, email server for 100 users with Pentium 4 and 2
> 40GB hard drives in raid for redundancy and 4GB of RAM.  I would want a
> server that I can set up and never worry about (except security holes).  I
> want the P4 because I know it will handle the load for the next 8+ years.
> I choose a lot of hard drive space because I don't want to run out of
> space.  I choose raid because it one drive dies I want the other one to
> just take over and run until I can get there to fix it.  Hardware that
> won't ever be the weak point.
>
> What other things should I be thinking about?
>
> I don't know if this rambling made sense but hopefully somebody can pick
> up on my jumbled train of thought.
>
> Eric Penne

Not that I am against nice new machines, but email for 100 people comes
no where close to needing 4GB of RAM or a P4 for a processor, the raid
and drives set up is sufficient for the forseeable future, the
journaling FS is a good idea for any system in my opinion although I
think what you want is software raid not LVM, if you are running 2 40GB
drives and are concerned about availablity running them as a stripe
mirror is what you want (yes, I know that it is actually just a mirror
with only 2 drives, but you may want to add additional drives in the
future and it is just one less thing to change).

Sam Tetherow                           tetherow at nicusa.com
Director of Development
NIC Labs (PSSG)                        http://www.nicusa.com