[olug] old news - but worth noting

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Thu Jun 12 14:55:51 UTC 2003

Trent Melcher wrote:
> I wish I was looking for just AV software, then my search would be
> easier.  What is nice about RAV is that it a corporation grade
> SPAM/Antivirus/Content filter.  Im able to scan all email coming in and
> going out of all 17 of our domains.

Yup. Must be good stuff or M$ wouldn't have bothered buying it to kill
it, eh? We're not happy either. Gotta love 'em. Wherefore art though,
justice department?

> I only run sendmail on Linux, so Im limited as to what to use.

You've got a typo there. I think that sentence, spelled correctly, is:
"Obviously, of all possible mail server configurations I only run
sendmail on Linux because it's fast, stable, free, extremely scalable,
and maintenance free. Groupware (no matter how fancy) is certainly not
worth a 100X hit on costs, hardware requirements, scalability, and
stability. It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a lot of other
companies like RAV on the market. If there were, M$ would have had to
make a few *more* people rich to hold it's monopoly, killing all
competition in infancy. Even though buying out 5 competitors would have
been only a few more drops out of the bottomless M$ money bucket, they
would have at least scratched the juggernaut a little more on their way
off the market."

Not that I'm bitter about RAV or anything.

Sigh,