[olug] sparking a flame war.....

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Wed Jun 11 06:33:12 UTC 2003

For those of you who complain about rpmhell.....

I have only ran into rpmhell when
#1 I did not know how to check dependancies ( e.g. dist. specific
methods )
#2 some idiot performed rpm -i --force pkgname.rpm using a package that
did not belong on the distribution/version it was installed on.

- IMHO - rpm is a very good packaging mechanism, and is _VERY_
thoroughly defined and documented. -- why do you think lsb defines rpm
as the official lsb packaging method? Dont get me wrong, I am in no way
saying apt or portage or xyz is any worse, But when you have the
majority of the dist. packagers using it already, it made sence. Face
it, The only major dists to stray from rpm ( Just off the top of my head
- may be missing some ):
debian, gentoo, slackware

dists that use rpm: ( some are defunct )
redhat, suse, caldera(pre/post SCO), mandrake, TurboLinux, Conectiva,
Lindows?

just a bunch of ramble.....