[olug] Erros using Zonet KVM Switch

Eric Johnson eric_j at oasis.novia.net
Mon Jun 9 22:02:34 UTC 2003

In my experience, the biggest problems are caused by using conflicting
PS/2 protocols (assuming you are using a PS/2 KVM). Make sure that all
machines are using the same protocol or any or all of them freak out after
switching.

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Nathan Rotschafer (Hotmail.com) wrote:

> Actually to clarify I have a Belkin that works fine under red hat but not any
> other distro.  Now the problem is that mine is NOT powered.  The constant
> power keeps X thinking there is a mouse there and is supposed to fix the
> problem; however, when I tried a power brick on my Belkin it still failed to
> solve the problem and another member of OLUG has a Belkin KVM that has the
> same problem in X.  The two solutions I found is:
>
> 1) Don't use a KVM with linux which is just insane and
> 2) When you switch and come back switch to your virtual console 1 (Alt-Ctrl-1)
> and then go to virtual console 7 which is the X console (Alt-Ctrl-7) and that
> fixes it.
>
> I hope this is somewhat helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Nate Rotschafer
>
> P.S. This is written on my Dell Inspiron 8100 with Gentoo Linux 1.4rc4 :-)
>
> On Monday 09 June 2003 03:37 pm, CM Miller wrote:
> > --- Craig Wolf <cjwolf at mpsomaha.org> wrote:
> > > I have a Belkin also, 4-port.  Pay the extra money
> > > to get one with a power brick.  I did not get the
> > > powered one and it will get a little "funky" when
> > > switching on me, but it always starts working after
> > > a few seconds of figuring out the mouse and keyboard
> > > are REALLY there.
> >
> > (***Sigh***)  I'm typing this from the lobby of DIT
> > while they look over this Zonet KVM box.  The guy
> > tested it out on a windows box and said it works, what
> > is wrong with it.  I told him he needs to test it on a
> > Linux box.
> >
> > But it says 'works with linux on the box'...
> >
> > I guess you can't believe everythign you read, so I'm
> > off to CompUSA to try a Belkin KVM.
> >
> > Plus, since I opened the box, there is a 10%
> > restocking fee...ouch!!!  This hurst a meiser like me.
> >

> > So the moral of this story is don't use Zonet KVM, if
> > your running Linux.
> >
> > -Chris
> >
> > =====
> > GTFG
> >
> > GAIM ID:  cmmiller1973

-- Eric Johnson
-- eric_j at oasis.novia.net

"Ahh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package.
    How efficient of you."

    -- Londo Molari

            /*\         ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
            \ /         - AGAINST HTML EMAIL