[olug] kernel panics

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Tue Jun 3 19:35:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 14:23, Trent Melcher wrote:
> I have never tried that,  All I do is on the remote machine (logger) I send
> all kern.*      /var/log/kernel.log
> I dont break out each box to a specific file, since logger tags the specific
> messages from each box with the hostname it came from.

Great. Thanks for all your help everyone. This should make things easier
in the future whenever kernel panics occur.

As a summary:

I have not yet run memtest-86 on the machine, (I'm kind of afraid to
reboot the thing right now) but I am guessing there is a memory module
error causing the kernel panics.

The 'locate' errors I was getting somehow fixed themselves and are not
reoccurring.

I have edited /etc/syslog.conf on linux1 to log all kernel messages
remotely to linux2 like so:
kern.*			@linux1

I have edited /etc/syslog.conf on linux2 to take all kernel messages
from linux1 and log them like so:
kern.*			/var/log/kernel.log

-- Ryan