[olug] kernel panics

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Tue Jun 3 18:10:06 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 10:20, Vincent wrote:
> > You may want to modify syslog to also log to a remote system so you
> > can get a copy of the error messages.
>
> So, just by making syslog log to a remote system I should end up with
> kernel panic messages in /var/log/messages? Becuase I don't think I see
> any my current messages log.

On the remote system, maybe.

The reason for doing this is because log messages not yet written to disk
when the kernel panics are lost.  Recording the messages on a remote
system as the local log means that there's a better chance useful
information will be recorded, provided the local syslog sends the dump to
the remote system soon enough - timing is everything!

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us