[olug] August 2003 OLUG happenings & info

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Mon Jul 28 02:35:12 UTC 2003

August OLUG meeting:
The next OLUG meeting is August 5th at 6:30 pm, where Pete (aka the Key
Master) from the AIM institute will be presenting on squid and content
filtering. In fact, Pete will bring in one of their production boxes for
the presentation!

There is also a rumor that Oskar Andreasson
(http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net) and Matthew G. Marsh will be
stopping by as well!

What is squid? Well it is a Web Proxy - check out: www.squid-cache.org

Where & when is the meeting? <a
href=”http://www.olug.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=OLUG#4”>Read
the FAQ!</a>

CERT Conference 2003:
If you have not heard, the 5th Annual Nebraska CERT Conference is August 5
- 7, 2003; being held at the The Peter Kiewit Institute Scott Conference
Center in Omaha, NE.

If you have never attended the CERT confrence, sessions will focus on
Internet/Intranet/Extranet security, VPNs, PKI/cryptography, NT security,
WWW, network intrusions and countermeasures, distributed denial of service
attacks, response teams, management and awareness issues and much more. An
excellent opportunity for learning & networking put together by some of
our own OLUGers. This is the local conference you do not want to miss!

For information on the conference: http://www.certconf.org/
For information on Nebraska CERT: http://www.nebraskacert.org/

Since we never received the information on OLUG helping with the CERT
conference; your attendance & participation is best as an attendee.
Register & come out to the conference, to support Nebraska CERT and some
fellow OLUGers.

I was asked to pass the information along for the DEFCON breakfast gathering:

All Omaha/Lincoln/Nebraska/Iowa attendees (hell, anyone reading this or
anyone you tell) are welcome to the breakfast gathering at DEFCON.

Friday morning (the first day of the conference)
Meeting up at 9 am in the Alexis Park lobby, near the bar entrance.

Look forward to seeing you all there, and of course DEFCON!

Summer Install fest 2003 review:

A big thanks & kudos to Adam, Buzz, Jon, Mat, - hell all of OLUG that
helped put on a GREAT install fest. The posters Tim V printed out are
awesome, I am still hearing good comments about them. As Jon L. said on
the OLUG mailing list:
<I>The Open atmosphere and sharing of knowledge is what makes Linux, free
software, and open standards great, and helps us all as a community. If
you helped someone with a problem or question on Saturday, no matter how
small, you deserve thanks as well. </i>

I would also like to thank all the attendees - it is your questions and
needs that help us learn Linux more and more; and the continued life blood
to OLUG. Let me again welcome you to OLUG and the Linux experience.

The winner of the OLUG poster contest is Craig Wolf, who was awarded a
Knoppix CD and a copy of Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN").

Our door prize winners were:
Linux Tshirt: Stacie B, Garrett V, Ric M, Jay B
Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN"): BuzzB, Jim G, Mat C, Scott M, Tom W
Knoppix: Mike G, John M, Ryan B

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson