[olug] Promise FastTrak 100

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Wed Jul 23 03:34:09 UTC 2003

Brandon Lederer wrote:
> I am sure I am running hardware raid.... my partitions are on
> /dev/ataraid/d0p1, d0p2, d0p3, etc.... i just Broke it and rebuilt it with
> the FastTrak utility on the FastTrak100 Bios.
>
> the OS also lists the drives /dev/hde and /dev/hdg

If the /dev/ataraid/* AND the /dev/hd* devices work then this is still
software RAID.

If this was true hardware raid you would see only /dev/ataraid/* - the
/dev/hd[e|g] devices would not work.

Unfortunately, to detect hardware failures I think your best bet is to
use the S.M.A.R.T. utility on /dev/hd* and parse the results with a perl
script.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us