[olug] Promise FastTrak 100

Brandon Lederer brandonl at hms4emc.com
Wed Jul 23 00:40:49 UTC 2003

the only thing I have found is ide-smart... which uses S.M.A.R.T. hard disk
monitoring.  basically I could write a wrapper perl script to run it and
grep for failures.... and send email, or call a pager or whatever....   for
what SMART hard disk monitoring is worth.... any comments there.   Spong
looks interesting.  will look into it more

Worth noting.  I broke my array, by unplugging a power connector to a drive.
it HARD locked.  So i disconnected it and tried to boot Linux off of the
SINGLE drive on the RAID card.  KERNEL PANIC....  Now, does Linux not set up
/dev/ataraid/d0 if there is only the one drive?  is this why It kernel
panic'd?  Currently rebuilding the array as the machine must be available
tomorrow during business hours.