[olug] Minicom

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Mon Jul 14 15:50:32 UTC 2003

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Ryan O'Rourke wrote:

> Scott Evans wrote:
> > Just wanted to know if anyone could help me in using
> > the  Minicom in Linux to access a Cisco 4000 series
> > router? I've never done it. Wondering if anyone else
> > has done this before?
>
> I don't know if or how a 4000 would differ from a 1720, but I've used
> Minicom to access 1720s.
> Actually I prefer "cu" for a serial connection like so:
> 	cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600
> but if you want to use Minicom that works too. Just read the man page
> and fire it up. The key combos are a bit funky IMO but it works well
> once you figure it out. You basically have to press and release "CTRL a"
> and then hit one other key for the function you want.
> Example:
> 	press and release CTRL a, press z
> gets you the help menu.
>
> I do know that I've had problems using Minicom or cu to interact with
> Cisco 678s but they both work flawlessly with 1720s.

Yep - with 67x make sure that you try in order: 9600, 38400, 57600 baud
with no hardware and no software flow control. From the factory the
earlier 67x (5s and some 8s) came with 9600 with some middle 8s had 38400
while later ones and most cisco's in general now use 57600. The trick is
to use no autonegotiation in minicom. The nice part is that you can setup
minicom to log all your interactions. Also if you compiled minicom to use
/etc for your configs then you will see minirc.ttyS0 or minirc.{insert
config name} files that can be copied around. Then you can simply do
minicom {insert config name} and be there.

ObH: If you are just looking to log all serial connections (which I do
extensively) then look into logserial and ttywatch. OOB logging is your
best friend when being hacked...

> Anyway, hope that helps.
>
> -- Ryan

Matthew G. Marsh,  President