[olug] GnomeDex 3.0

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Mon Jul 14 03:50:22 UTC 2003

Ok, first when GnomeDex was mentioned on the list some time back there was
no interest at all. So I planned on not going, even to the point of being
scheduled to work that weekend – and now redhairedgeek has proposed a road
trip to Des Moines for the con.

Doh! How about redhairedgeek give us all a briefing at the next OLUG
meeting; let us know if it was worth it or not. I had heard a few stories
about nights out in Des Moines, but have not had the opportunity to prove
it true or not. Based on your experience it will or will not be on my Con
list for next year.

Now, GnomeDex is technology & most likely heavy on the borg (Micro$oft).
Def Con & Rubi Con is different topics & different audience. I would not
compare the three different gatherings as the same sort of event.

Any Con is what you make of it; but here are a few quick thoughts:

Def Con: Professional, high level event, presentations lacking in
substance to try and steer clear with the Feds. Bet for networking &
meeting people; talking tech between people from all over. Cheap at $75
for three days of fun; share a room with the Omaha gang for all the fun.
=)

Rubi Con: Cheaper at $59, cheaper digs. Not professional at all, but many
of the presentations are technical, nitty gritty sort of stuff. Some even
too basic for newbie. It mostly blew hairy goats – the only way I would go
again is if I presented & did not have to pay the Con fee. But the next
one is a new one & a different year – it all could be different. We met
some really cool people and learned a whole lot.

GnomeDex: $99 for two days seems steep to me for a user conference; even
if the hotel digs are cheaper per night.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson