[olug] IDE Hardware RAID

neal rauhauser 402-301-9555 neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Thu Jul 10 20:11:20 UTC 2003

  I had a Promise ATA66 card with two 27 gig drives and fbsd 4.x -
installed fine, worked for shit when I tested it - first drive good,
second drive paperweight.

 YMMV ... I am still using the promise controller and they changed the
device name 4.6=>4.7 which gave me 50% of all the gray hair I have right
now :-(

Mike Peterson wrote:

> I have a new system with built-in Promise RAID.
>
> Mandrake 9.1 does not have drivers for Promise 20267 built-in IDE RAID.
>
> Slackware 9 installs great but sees each drive separately and not as one mirror drive.
>
> Redhat 9 installs great but sees each drive separately and not as one mirror drive.
>
> FreeBSD 5.1 sees the drives but will not install.
>
> Windows XP Pro works great and sees the mirror.
>
> Knoppix 3.2 June release sees the drives as separate and not mirrored.
>
> I plan to run Redhat Enterprise ES 2.1 on the system.
> The system CD claims to have the drivers.
>
> I will post an update once I get it working.
>
> I thought about putting a 3ware card in the system.
> As per the 3ware site they only support up to Redhat 8 at present.
>
> I have had good luck with ARCO IDE RAID.
> But the last card I got which was version 2 was slower than version 1.
> The version 1 would only support 30 GB drives max.
> That is what I have it running with.
>
> The version 2 card will support at least 40 GB drives that I have it running on.
>
> Has anyone worked with any other IDE Hardware RAID?

"The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily
becomes
the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the
inevitable."
- Marquis de Sade