[olug] Wireless card for Dell 8100

Jon H. Larsen relayer at omahadirect.net
Thu Jul 3 13:57:03 UTC 2003

I got a Siemens Speedstream SS1021 from Office Depot for $40.  The box
even has Linux listed on the side.  You need to make add entries to
/etc/pcmcia/config and /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.conf (if you have the wlan-ng
packages installed).  The card is an 802.11b type.

Here is what I added to my /etc/pcmcia/config file:

card "Siemens SpeedStream Wireless PCMCIA"
  version "Siemens", "SpeedStream Wireless PCMCIA", "Version 01.02", ""
  manfid 0x02ac, 0x0002
  bind "orinoco_cs"

The version and manfid strings will appear in /var/log/messages when you
insert the card.  Just make sure what you enter into the 'config' matches
what appears in the message log.

Jon L.

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Scott Evans wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:31:12 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Scott Evans <munkey1979 at yahoo.com>
> To: olug at olug.org
> Subject: [olug] Wireless card for Dell 8100
>
> I finally got Red Hat working on my Dell inspiron 8100
> after a day and a half of messing with XF86config.
> Now I want to get a wireless card for this baby.  Just
> wanted to get some opinions on a good wireless card
> for this type of laptop and that will work great with
> Red Hat 8.0.
>
> Im thinking either 802.11a or g.  not sure yet
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Scott

Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at omahadirect dot net
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org
ICQ#: 10412618 - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl
PGP Pubkey - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl/relayerpubkey.txt