[olug] Unpatched IE holes

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Thu Jan 30 17:18:53 UTC 2003

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 10:55 AM, Jacobs, Robert A. wrote:
>> design yet. On the linux side, I couldn't ask for a better
>> browser than
>> Galeon.
>
> Which is just a stripped down Mozilla, isn't it?

Pretty much, it's the mozilla rendering engine with a gnome interface.

http://galeon.sourceforge.net/manifesto/

On the mac the equivalent project is Chimera, and on windows there is
K-Meleon. The only windows machine I use is a 2ghz p4, so regular
mozilla seems to be fast enough, and K-Meleon was a bit buggy the last
time I tried it about 9 months ago. It's probably much better now.
Chimera is fast, but lacks a lot of features...

K-Meleon: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/
Chimera: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/

Another good project to look at that I haven't tried yet is Pheonix.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

"Phoenix is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component, similar to
Galeon, K-Meleon and Chimera, but written using the XUL user interface
language and designed to be cross-platform."

I havn't used it yet, and the only problem I have with it, is they
won't work on it for the mac since they say chimera all ready fills
that need, which is stupid IMO. They shouldn't work on it for windows
because of kmeleon, or linux because of galeon either. It's supposed to
be pretty good though. They follow the latest mozilla trunk, but try to
keep it very small and fast.

Oh I just found this: http://www.kmgerich.com/misc.html "This is a Mac
OS X build of Phoenix based on version 0.5. It's not a straight build,
it's more like "Phoenix and stuff". " Neat, gotta go play with that.

-- Daniel