[olug] Distro's please

William Haisch whaisch4 at cox.net
Mon Jan 27 06:36:50 UTC 2003

I don't think SimDesk is for the common consumer.  Houston had to sign
a multi million dollar contract for SimDesk to come to town.
OpenOffice would be a more appropriate option.  One caveat to network
apps and data storage is the network must be available or these
programs (and YOUR data!!) is inaccessible.  I wonder how Houston will
handle the problem of 50,000 people cut off from their data if a
catastrophe would cut some communication lines (how would you like to
be on help desk that day!).

SuSE can be downloaded and burned to CD for free.  Lindows (name like
Windows, web site like Apple) is a commercial product that you have to
purchase for $129 (includes StarOffice).  Xandros is also for purchase
at $99.

Sidenote:  Does anyone else think that SimDesk is just 1970's time
sharing / mainframe / terminal technology adapted for the 21st century?
  Funny how everything old is new once more....

Well, just my rant appraised at a nickel....

-Wm.