[olug] Re: Email forwarding - is OLUG better than Google?

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Fri Jan 24 03:53:14 UTC 2003

> The simple way is to use sendmail aliases.  All the mappings from
> betterbrains.com addresses to real addresses would be in a flat text
> file.  That approach probably wouldn't scale well.

Writing a web gui would also be interesting...

> Sendmail 8.12+ can do LDAP lookups (see
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/ref-guide/s1-
> sendmail-ldap.html).
> I've been planning to experiment with this but need to upgrade my
> system first.  I also understand exim can do LDAP routing.

Pretty much every MTA does LDAP lookups these days (i've done it with
qmail and postfix, and I know people who use exim and sendmail).
However, it is a lot to learn. MCSEs have trouble picking up win2k
these days because active directory (ldap) is complicated. SQL is easy,
most people know it, and it's easy to tie in to a web site (lots of
books on the subject). Granted, it's harder to scale (that's changing
now that free relational dbs are getting replication). Then there's
that redundancy problem (goes with replication).

So, for a single box, simple setup, web interface, not much to learn.
Go with a simple secure mta (postfix or exim) and a common easy to
learn db (mysql). That's my 2 cents...

-- Daniel