[olug] Email forwarding - is OLUG better than Google?

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Thu Jan 23 17:07:31 UTC 2003

It's Pfile, thankyou. The P is silent, like Pfister, Pfeffer, Pfund or
Pfyl and Pfeil (probobly distant relatives). Stupid immigration workers
that can't speel.

Off the top of my head I'd say go with mysql since it's easier to learn
than ldap. I lean towards postfix as an mta these days, and it looks
like it's easy to get going with postfix+mysql.

http://kummefryser.dk/HOWTO/mail/postfix_mysql.html

You'll have to compile postfix by hand, it's not that hard, just
remember to keep up on the security yourself instead of relying on the
disto's updates. Throw up a simple php gui to change that
table(remote_aliases) and you'll be good to go.

There are tons of things you can learn for postfix config/performance
tuning/etc. I'd recommend reading an intro to postfix before you jump
into this. Don't be an open relay.

-- Daniel