[olug] 3Com NICs, QNX & “upgrading to W2K"

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Tue Jan 21 20:16:50 UTC 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, IrishMASMS wrote:

> Greetings fellow OLUGers!

[snip]

> That is all so far. Now for some questions for my fellow LUGers:
>
> -What is this QNX? I assume another *nix flavor?

Nope - think of embedded unix. Also has a fairly full featured RealTime
component (RTLinux, VXworks, etc). But the boiler program is not true
realtime or they would not have an upgrade path to W2K. No WinOS is
realtime.

> -What the hell are they talking about regarding  a "real-time" OS?
>
> -Any recommendations for this fellow, or should I say for whenever we get
> stuck in this same position?

This one is more a case of a highly vertical market with no real
competition. And unless you have good business insurance (to replace the
boiler etal) then you probably stay out of the market... sigh. Many of
these markets have little-no competition simply due to the cost of
insurance and R&D. Most likely the manufacturer of the software also makes
the boiler or at least has one available for testing...

> -Comments?
>
> Irish
>
> --
> A: No.
> Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha  NE  68104