[olug] from slashdot: Credit Card-Size Hard Drive Can Hold 5GB

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Tue Jan 21 18:15:24 UTC 2003

The first gen smart cards had major problems. We used them for supply
tracking/id stuff in the air force (card + pin = $100k part and your
butt if you lost it).

The big problem was they would seperate. After flexing a bit, the two
layers of the card would come apart, and you'd expose the glued on
microchip. I don't know if they really fixed it, or if they switched to
a new kind of a glue. But it was a pain. You COULD still use the card
though, just clamp it together with your fingers and shove it in the
reader.

-- Daniel