[olug] ham radio operators can use 802.11b

Daniel Pfile klaruz at pfile.net
Sat Jan 18 03:53:50 UTC 2003

Ohh I didn't realize that Ham users were the primary users of that band. Of
course, if somebody's part 97 devices shuts out my part 15 devices I'd probobly
track their signal down and solve the problem with a bat. :)

I've got a 2m HT sitting around, but no license. I was going to get one about 6
years ago, but I kinda let it fall by the wayside. I'm sure I could pass the
test easy, they've gotten a lot easier. Well, they always were easy, if you know
anything about electronics it's just a matter of memorizing the laws really.

So, I couldn't gather from the article, but are they talking about setting up
some sort of peer to peer mesh? Like the old (probobly still used) packet relay
networks? That would be cool. I'd like to bounce an ICMP packet accross town,
into kansas, off the moon, and into canada. :) For some reason bouncing stuff
off something in space instead of the ionasphere always facinated me, even
though this would probobly be all ground based. Maybe I should get my license
anyway...

-- Daniel Pfile <daniel AT pfile DAWT net>