ADVs via the olug.org mailing list? was: [olug] Network

Jacobs, Robert A. RAJACOBS at northropgrumman.com
Thu Jan 16 19:45:37 UTC 2003

Which, honestly, I'm glad to see.  Linux-centric stores (particularly
stores that offer Linux compatible hardware) are a gift from God.

My goal in commenting was not to spread dissension in the ranks.

>It
>seems to me that OLUG would logically be a place where people would be
>interested in knowing something like that.  It's the sort of thing I
>would have posted to the list as an FYI if I'd found out about it.

See...this is where, in my opinion, the "conflict of interest" issue
can raise its head.  When Nick Walter "spreads the word" it IS an FYI
and an (tacit) endorsement for the product/company.  When the store
owner spreads the word, it is an advertisement...or it can come across
that way...regardless of intent.

I, too, am "virulently anti-spam" which means I could be overly
sensitive...that is why I wanted to check myself against the rest of
the community.

>Jay's comment about buying a Zoom gateway from him didn't bug
>me either,
>since it came at the end of an informative and on-topic message.
>
>Nick Walter

Okay. That's one vote for "lighten up, Rob".  Anyone else?

robert.a.jacobs