[olug] anonymizer

m0ntar3 at cox.net m0ntar3 at cox.net
Tue Jan 14 19:48:17 UTC 2003

if(port == 22) { ring_bell(); } for starters. yes, users could just use another port.

if(
  (tcp_stream == "lots data moving away") ||
  (
     (tcp_stream == "lots of data moving in") &&
     (remote_port != 80)
  )
 { ring_bell(); }, would be a little better.

even mo' better, turn off all traffic completely. then allow
what you need explicitly, via proxy.

ssh tunnel good for individual, ssh tunnel bad for big company..

Mr. Infosec Officer: "Did you see that?"
Ms. Network Administrator: "Yes, it appeared to be a large blob of data moving away from us at a high rate of speed."
Mr. Infosec Officer: "What did it contain?"
Ms. Network Administrator: "No idea. It was encrypted."
Mr. Infosec Officer: "Go get that user and bring 'it' here."
Joe Black User: "Oh, that, it was a Linux ISO. I downloaded to work and then over to that server 'cuz the transfer is faster that way.. I won't do it again."
Mr. Infosec Officer: "OK, you're sorry, appear honest, mostly harmless, and we don't have the time or resources to check your story.. so back to the mine to you rabble!"
Joe Black User: (thinking) "Linux ISO my ass."