[olug] Locked out of OLUG SquirrelMail

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Tue Jan 14 08:38:59 UTC 2003

At Tue, 14 Jan 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Wiese, said:

[Snip: User account info.]

> is this password expiry date setup in your useradd script, or is there
> some overall system process that setups and enforces user password
> changes?

I think the command you're looking for is chage.  See the man page for
chage for more information on password aging.

I don't know of any user add script that has inherent support for this,
though it shouldn't be too difficult to write a little script for it.

> Another question that has been bugging me today... is there a way to set a
> threshold on failed login attempts in GNU/Linux.. i.e, after 3
> unsuccessful logins - the account is locked permanently, or perhaps for 5
> hours?  Does PAM do stuff like this?

In this case, I think the command you're looking for is faillog.  See
the man page for faillog for more information on limiting login failures.

I don't think it's directly available from PAM, but I've never looked
into it all that closely, so I could be wrong.

If the man pages don't provide what you're looking for, let us know. ;-)