[olug] anonymizer

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Tue Jan 14 07:57:56 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:45:14 -0600
Jonathan Warren <thechunk at cox.net> wrote:

|I have worked at companies that have restricted internet access.
Sometimes this can be circumvented through the use of a https connection
to a site that allows browsing of the web.  Safeweb comes to mind.  I have
foudn that these kinds of sites don't last long before they are noticed
and shutdown.  Now I am thinking to myself I have a nice little apache
server running on the net and was wondering if anyone knew of an
opensource project to turn an apache install into an anonymouse browser
with login capability ( To keep it from being noticed by employeer)?
Seems to me an unbranded https page on my home machine that allowed me
access to my own internet connection has little possiblity of being
noticed and very little possibility of them determining its purpose.
Anyway just wondering if anyone had done somethign like this before?

|-Jon Warren.

In addition to cgiproxy, the apache webserver itself has "proxy"[1]
capabilities. =)  It seems to be a fairly popular way to share 'web'
access to a private network w/o IP addresses besides doing NAT.  I
honestly tried to set it up here at home though, but it didn't seem to
work... no matter what URL I wanted to go to, I kept getting the default
page of the apache server.

If you have a standard source IP address at work, you could configure it
so only you could access it from that IP address... otherwise, thats all
I've seen for security against becoming a popular open proxy for others.
=)

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html
http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds7-5/proxy.html
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/security/lib-proxy/howto/proxy/

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart