discuss: Production use distribution? ---Re: [olug] Linux sys admin position

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 21:56:05 UTC 2003

--- "Jacobs, Robert A." <RAJACOBS at northropgrumman.com>
wrote:

> I realize that RH has done a lot of great work in
> this area (up2date,
> apt4rpm,
> etc.) but I still hear RH users complain about
> dependency problems about
> which I
> never hear Debian users complain.  I'm not very
> familiar with either one of
> these
> tools so that is all I can say on the subject...

Robert you should know first hand of this frustration,
cause you tried to help me go from RH 7.3 to RH 8.0
using apt-get dist-upgrade at the installfest.

Well guess what, even though I've used up2date and
apt-get to keep my packages current, 8.0 wouldn't
install due to a bunch of rpm dependecies issues and
then it was finding source packaged (.tgz) because I
got tired of rpmhell and want to install apps. and get
them up and running, not spending time hunting down
rpms.

I give up.

I blew away RH and for fun I threw Mandrake 9.0 in and
it installed without a flaw in less than 10 minutes.

So then I blew away Mandrake and installed Debian.

=====
"People without goals get used by those who have goals" - Unknown