discuss: Production use distribution? ---Re: [olug] Linux sysadmin position

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Jan 13 17:54:55 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:24:23 -0600 (CST)
"Jeff Hinrichs" <jeffh at delasco.com> wrote:

|Phil Brutsche said:
|> 1) APT.  It's hard to beat "apt-get install apache php4" and get 90% of
|>     what's needed to run a webmail package.  RedHat's native mechanism:
|> - Can't load stuff off the CD/a local mirror: wtf where they
|>       thinking?
|>     - requires you to register
|So, does your system email you when new errata fixes are available?  Can
|you log in to a single interface and check the package status of all of
|your servers?  Can you schedule your package upgrades?

apt-get update; apt-get -u upgrade
could be cron'd or scripted. i remember seeing that there was also an deb
package that would do the same thing and send an email to the admin of
what can be upgraded.  i know there is the apt-proxy program that will
keep a local cache on your network of all apt updates to save bandwidth.
as for single interface to see status of all packages (dpkg -l) on several
systems, I dont know of one. scheduling could use at.

|> 2) Package quality.  Have you seen some of the RPMs out there?  yuck!
|>     Have you tried updating some of those 3rd party RPMs?  yuck again!
|I only run the services that are needed on a server.  So, I don't have
any
|"3rd" party RPM problems.

it just may be the service you need or want to run, is not in the standard
redhat packages. i haven't had too much experience with this, but used
checkinstall once to create a deb package from source, and it all worked
fine.

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart