[olug] Networking and NIC issues. Coaching

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Fri Jan 10 22:21:16 UTC 2003

> When I do ifconfig -a the odd thing is that it brings up all the
> networking devices but two of them have the same MAC address.  I am
> CONFUSED BY THIS! (Shouting Intentional but not directed at anyone ;-) )
> . I'm hoping someone will be able to coach me through a troubleshooting
>  and repair.

Having two ethernet ports with the same MAC address is something I would
expect to see on a Sun, not on a PC.

As long as the two ports aren't on the same ethernet segment there
probably won't be a problem.

Different interfaces having the same mac address can also be caused by
interface aliases (ie eth0 eth0:1 eth0:2 etc).

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us