[olug] Unix Tip: SAYING PUT AND EXECUTING ELSEWHERE

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu Jan 2 02:12:18 UTC 2003

Wasn't there some command that would let you go off into another shell or
path for a moment to work on a config file or something, and then one
could "cd back" to their previous path?  And I believe with the command
you could go back and forth?

Or was this possibly only by having a different path during an "su"
situation, and then logging out of "su root" would bring you back to your
local user path?

If anyone knows, or esp ktb - I think you taught me this: TIA

peace
Brian

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 15:46:55 -0600 (CST)
Dave Hull <dphull at insipid.com> wrote:

|On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Unix Guru Universe wrote:
|
|> Doing things from the present directory.
|> Say, if you want to list all the files
|> in /etc directory being in your present
|> directory you can do so by typing
|>
|> $ (cd /etc; ls -l)
|
|Whatever happened to good ol' "ls -l /etc" or if you want stay in your
current
|directory while executing scripts in another something equally tricky
like
|"/usr/local/bin/siggen.pl nordquist"?

|I'm still trying to figure out a situation in which this technique might
be
|more useful than simply using a full path.

|--
|Dave Hull
|http://insipid.com
|
|Remember when tables crashed (choose your ASCII or non-ascii
|browser here)?
|-- Steve Nordquist, Re: RIAA strikes again[Way OFFTOPIC], 05/19/00

|OLUG mailing list
|OLUG at olug.org

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart