[olug] Unix Tip: SAYING PUT AND EXECUTING ELSEWHERE

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Wed Jan 1 21:46:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Unix Guru Universe wrote:

> Doing things from the present directory.
> Say, if you want to list all the files
> in /etc directory being in your present
> directory you can do so by typing
>
> $ (cd /etc; ls -l)

Whatever happened to good ol' "ls -l /etc" or if you want stay in your current
directory while executing scripts in another something equally tricky like
"/usr/local/bin/siggen.pl nordquist"?

I'm still trying to figure out a situation in which this technique might be
more useful than simply using a full path.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

Remember when tables crashed (choose your ASCII or non-ascii
browser here)?
-- Steve Nordquist, Re: RIAA strikes again[Way OFFTOPIC], 05/19/00