[olug] question about compiling libraries...

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 1 05:06:48 UTC 2003

I'm a little lost here.

I am compiling liblzo (lzo-1.08.tar.gz from
http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/) as a
dependency for "transcode" which is in turn a
dependency of DVD::Rip (Debian users, laugh now).

Transcode is looking for liblzo.so, but when I compile
I only get the following libs installed:
/usr/local/lib/liblzo.a
/usr/local/lib/liblzo.la

No .so file.  However, when I checked an rpm of lzo,
there was a .so file (but no .a or .la files!).

I know I could use the rpm, but I'd rather build it
myself.  Any hints on how to build the .so file?

Also, (while I've got your attention), can someone
educate me the differences between .a/.la/.so files?

Thanks for reading (and sorry for the newbie
bother)...
Eric Pierce