[olug] Installing software under /usr/local

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Fri Feb 28 15:26:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Jonathan Warren wrote:

> I install my new apps to there own directory usually under opt.  I use
> /usr/local for testing just because most configure scripts default to
> there.  Instead of adding all the apps to your path you may want to use
> symbolic links from the /usr/local/app/bin/appname to /usr/local/bin.
>
> The only exception would be a library that needs to be available to more
> than one application.  They still need to be in the system library path.

Nyet. Now we espose the beauty of two system library usage methodologies
(of course pertaining mostly to Linux).

1: LD_LIBRARY_PATH - an ancient Unix construct that provides a method for
                     using libraries without adding them in any way to
                     global library paths.

2: ld.so.conf - a file on Linux (and versions/similar constructs within
                other Unices) that allows adding shared library search
                paths (simple thought)

> Also to note if I keep my slackware source tree updated it contains the
> build script.  this makes it very convenient for upgrading a package and
> having it use all the same configure options.  I don't know if there is
> something similar for the other distros or not.  If anyone wants the
> slackware-current and source trees I maintain a local copy rsync'd twice
> a day.

Good idea. I have a habit of keeping either config.status or Makefile for
any packages I install. In the case where there are "fiddlies" I must
apply I create a patch file (yeah - old line hardass command line
wierdo...) although I have been exploring the wonders of CVS for keeping a
"library" of configure/makefile/fiddlie commands...

> -Jon
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:54:26PM -0600, Dave Burchell wrote:
> > I feel bad about promulgating the (admittedly trivial) flame war, so I'm
> > going to ask a legit question.
> >
> > Let's say I have a fine Linux box and most of my software has come
> > to me as RPMs or .deb files.  But, I need to pick up the sources
> > for a more recent version of some software, and I want to install it
> > under "/usr/local".  Let's say I want the latest version of The GIMP.
> > Should I install it under a directory I create called "/usr/local/gimp"
> > or should I put The Gimp's libs under "/usr/local/lib", the executable
> > under "/usr/local/bin", and so on?
> >
> > I've always leaned towards putting all the files under
> > their own directory, then adding those that I want to my path
> > (PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/gimp/bin).  That way I can keep the software
> > versions straight, but it can be inconvenient when adding new users to the
> > system and lead to a long path.
> >
> > Comments?  Opinions?
> >
> > --
> > Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
> > Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619
> > http://incolor.inetnebr.com/burchell/                  burchell at acm.org

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street