[olug] looking for an application

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Fri Feb 28 10:08:17 UTC 2003

William E. Kempf said:

> Phil Brutsche said:
>> CM Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> What steps do you take to run Cygwin?  I have a W2K
>>> box and  Linux box, the .exe is on the W2K box and
>>> what I do I need to setup on the linux box to make
>>> this happen?
>>
>> Nothing.  Cygwin runs and installs directly under Windows 2000.
>
> Mostly true.  There's a whole load of crap you need to do to get it to
> work "nicely", however.  mkpasswd, mkgroups, normal environment setup,
> non-normal environment setup to make the terminal behave well enough to
> use apps like emacs, etc.

Oh, sorry, that wasn't too helpful to anybody.  Let me clarify a few things.

1) You use X on Cygwin in pretty much the same manner that you do on
Linux.  The command startx will start the X server.

2) As others have pointed out, another solution (and the better one, IMHO)
is to use VNC.  The TightVNC package is quite nice, and I think Cygwin
installs it? (Been a while since I had to set that up.)  To use VNC you'll
need it installed on both the Windows box (for the client) and the Linux
box (for the server).  Usage is really easy, but I'm going to tell you to
RTFM (http://www.tightvnc.com/ and http://www.tightvnc.com/docs.html).

3) I've been creating a document on how to configure Cygwin to work
"nicely".  I'll share this with the community when I'm done.

I used to use VNC a lot, but I find most of what I need/want to do now is
done on the console, so I just use ssh.  Much faster, and easier to deal
with.  If you do use VNC, I'd suggest tunnelling it under ssh for
security.

--
William E. Kempf